• Google Bookmarks
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • reddit
The Campaign Trail
North Carolina Waits For U.S. Supreme Court To Rule on Congressional Districts PDF Print E-mail
The Campaign Trail
By Donna Martinez   
Wednesday, 10 February 2016 07:06

RALEIGH, (SGRToday.com) - The fate of North Carolina's March 15 primary election now rests with the U.S. Supreme Court.

State redistricting leaders have appealed to the high court, asking it to stay a federal court order that told officials they must redraw the District 1 and 12 congressional district lines because they had been drawn with race as the key factor.

"We hope the U.S. Supreme Court will recognize the urgency and gravity of these questions and issue a stay,” according to a statement issued by redistricting leaders David Lewis (R-Harnett) and Bob Rucho (R-Mecklenburg).

The state's appeal to the federal court was not granted. That's when the appeal was pushed to the highest court.

Absentee ballotting has already begun in North Carolina, with thousands of ballots requested and hundreds already returned.

 
Redistricting Leaders File Request For Stay of Federal Order On Congressional Districts PDF Print E-mail
The Campaign Trail
By Administrator   
Tuesday, 09 February 2016 06:17

RALEIGH, (SGRToday.com) - Lawmakers responsible for drawing election district lines have filed an emergency request for a stay of a federal court order that says two of the state's congressional districts must be redrawn.

A three-judge panel said congressional districts 1 and 12 were drawn with race as the key factor.

The Charlotte Observer reports that after the appeal, the court gave the people how filed the original lawsuit until Tuesday midday to respond.

Which way the appeal goes will determine if North Carolina's March 15 primary election will continue as scheduled.

Absentee ballots have already been cast and many others requested, according to the state Board of Elections.

 
Statement From Redistricting Leaders Following Federal Ruling On N.C.'s Congressional Maps PDF Print E-mail
The Campaign Trail
By Administrator   
Monday, 08 February 2016 06:18

RALEIGH, (SGRToday.com) - Sen. Bob Rucho (R-Mecklenburg) and Rep. David Lewis (R-Harnett), who led the state's redistricting effort, said they "will move swiftly to appeal this decision" following a federal ruling that says North Carolina's congressional districts must be redrawn.

The full statement reads:

“We are surprised and disappointed by the trial court's eleventh hour decision that throws an election already
underway into turmoil.  Should this decision be allowed to stand, North Carolina voters will no longer know
how  or  when  they  will  get  to  cast  their  primary  ballots  in  the  presidential,  gubernatorial,  congressional  and legislative elections. And thousands of absentee voters may have already cast ballots that could be tossed out.
This decision could do far more to disenfranchise North Carolina voters than anything alleged in this case. We
are  confident  our  state  Supreme  Court  made  the  right  decision  when  it  upheld  the  maps  drawn  by  the
General Assembly and approved by the Obama Justice
Department, and we will move swiftly to appeal this
decision.”

The court ruled that two of the districts were drawn using race as the main factor.

The ruling targets District 1 in northeastern North Carolina and District 12 along the Charlotte/south-central part of the state.

The three-judge panel gives legislators two weeks to draw new lines.

The impact on the March 15 primary election is unknown. Absentee voting has already begun. According to the State Board of Elections, more than 400 had been returned as of the time the ruling was issued, with more 8,000 having been requested.

 
Federal Court: N.C.'s Congressional Maps Must Be Redrawn PDF Print E-mail
The Campaign Trail
By Administrator   
Monday, 08 February 2016 06:14

RALEIGH, (SGRToday.com) - A federal court has ordered North Carolina lawmakers to redraw the state's congressional districts after ruling two of the districts were drawn using race as the main factor.

The ruling targets District 1 in northeastern North Carolina and District 12 along the Charlotte/south-central part of the state.

The three-judge panel gives legislators two weeks to draw new lines.

The impact on the March 15 primary election is unknown. Absentee voting has already begun. According to the State Board of Elections, more than 400 had been returned as of the time the ruling was issued, with more 8,000 having been requested.

In a joint statement, Sen. Bob Rucho (R-Mecklenburg) and Rep. David Lewis (R-Harnett), who led the redistricting effort, said they "will move swiftly to appeal this decision."

 

Last Updated on Monday, 08 February 2016 06:20
 
«StartPrev11121314151617181920NextEnd»

Page 20 of 21
Copyright 2011 - All Rights Reserved
3012 Highwoods Blvd., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27604
Telephone: (919) 790-9392