• Google Bookmarks
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • reddit
Local Government
New Section of Fayetteville Oter Loop Opens PDF Print E-mail
Local Government
By Administrator   
Tuesday, 16 August 2016 12:18
Governor Pat McCrory and N.C. Department of Transportation Secretary Nick Tennyson joined federal, state and local officials today to celebrate the opening of the next phase of the Fayetteville Outer Loop (I-295), which completes a direct interstate connection between I-95 and Fort Bragg and connects Ramsey Street to Bragg Boulevard.
“This stretch of I-295 plays a critical role not only in regional mobility, economic development and freight movement, but also in strengthening the military connections that are needed to support deployment and national security efforts,” Governor McCrory said. “The Fayetteville Outer Loop, and in particular this section, will offer unprecedented connectivity and opportunity for eastern North Carolina.”
Two additional sections of the Fayetteville Outer Loop are currently under construction- the stretch from Bragg Boulevard to the All American Freeway scheduled to be complete by the end of the year, and the section from All American Freeway to Cliffdale Road set to open in October 2018. Planning for the Fayetteville Outer Loop began in the late 1980s, and the first phase of the project from I-95 to Ramsey Street opened in 2005. 
“Tremendous teamwork has gone into making this $146 million portion of I-295 a reality, including strong partnerships with federal lawmakers, local officials and Fort Bragg,” Transportation Secretary Nick Tennyson said. “We all recognize the need to continue investing in infrastructure that strengthens our ability to seamlessly move people and freight. This is one of the many sections of the Fayetteville Outer Loop we are completing to meet growing transportation, military and logistics demands.”
The state transportation department recently awarded an $85.2 million design-build contract to continue the loop from south of Cliffdale Road to south of U.S. 401. Design-build allows all aspects of a project from design through construction to be completed under a single contract. Construction on this section is expected to begin as early as July 2017, with completion scheduled for May 2021.
The remainder of the 39-mile loop is funded through the state’s new transportation funding formula, which Governor McCrory championed to take the politics out of transportation planning. Under the new formula, more than $400 million is being invested to complete the whole loop by 2025. Additional money for highway construction in last year’s budget allowed construction of the southernmost section from Camden Road to I-95 to be accelerated from 2021 to 2020.
Attendance At NC Art Musuem Increases 34 Percent PDF Print E-mail
Local Government
By Administrator   
Wednesday, 10 August 2016 13:10
Governor Pat McCrory announced today that visitation to North Carolina's state sites, attractions and museums is up compared to last year. From Fiscal Year 2014-15 to Fiscal Year 2015-16 ending June 30, 2016, total visitation to the state's natural and cultural sites increased by nearly 1.8 million visitors, or 7.7 percent.
“Data shows that visitors from within our state and across the country and world are flocking to North Carolina to experience our natural beauty and quality of life that is second to none," Governor McCrory said. “As our population continues to increase and more people visit our state, strategic investments in our state parks, the zoo and overall quality of life will prepare our state for future growth."
The top five divisions within the Department of Natural and Cultural Resources that experienced increased attendance were the North Carolina Museum of Art, which saw an increase of 34.4 percent, North Carolina State Parks, which saw an increase of 11 percent, the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art, which saw an increase of 5.3 percent, the North Carolina Zoo, which saw an increase of 4.7 percent, and the Battleship NORTH CAROLINA, which saw an increase of 4.4 percent. Four of these divisions experienced the best attendance levels they have seen in the last five years.
In addition to the Fiscal Year comparison, the 11.7 million visitors to the North Carolina State Parks system through the end of July is a 10 percent increase over midsummer visitation of 10.6 million in 2015. Total state parks visitation in 2015 was a record 17.3 million. If the trend continues through the end of 2016, that record is likely to be surpassed.
Among 39 state parks and state recreation areas, 29 recorded increases in visitation above 2015 levels. William B. Umstead State Park in Wake County reported the highest visitation through July of 1.06 million. Others reporting visitation of at least 500,000 were Lake Norman, Jockey’s Ridge and Fort Macon state parks and Jordan Lake, Falls Lake, Kerr Lake and Fort Fisher state recreation areas.
“Along with inspiring landscapes, North Carolina State Parks offer an appealing array of activities,” said Natural and Cultural Resources Secretary Susan Kluttz. “There are more than 600 miles of trails for hikers and runners, as well as opportunities for mountain biking, kayaking and canoeing, horseback riding, rock climbing and more recreation opportunities that contribute to a healthy lifestyle.”
To prepare for future growth and increased visitation at state attractions, Governor McCrory championed the Connect NC bond. Overwhelmingly approved by North Carolina voters, Connect NC included $100 million for needed infrastructure including education facilities and visitor centers at state parks throughout the state and the North Carolina Zoo.
Raleigh Eatery Wins Reprieve from DOT PDF Print E-mail
Local Government
By Administrator   
Wednesday, 10 August 2016 12:16
RALEIGH - Finch’s Restaurant will remain open until the end of the year before making way for a Department of Transportation street improvement. 
The restaurant's owner planned to close the restaurant this fall when DOT replaces the Capital Boulevard bridge over Peace Street. However, DOT will begin the project by building a bridge over Wade Avenue, thereby giving Finch's Restaurant a few more months before its building will be demolished. The three-year construction project will begin after Labor Day DOT spokesman Steve Abbott told the Raleigh News and Observer. Abbott said drivers won’t experience major disruptions. Crews aren’t redoing the ramps that carry traffic between Capital Boulevard and Wade Avenue. The major detours and delays will come next spring when workers begin to replace the bridge over Peace Street. 
Finch’s has been at its Peace Street location for nearly 70 years. The eatery will  reopen in January on Chapel Hill Road in Durham. 
Wayne County Picked For $21 Million Manufacturing Facility And 88 Jobs PDF Print E-mail
Local Government
By Administrator   
Tuesday, 02 August 2016 13:50
U-Play Corporation will establish a manufacturing plant in Wayne County, where it will create 88 new jobs during the next four years. The Chinese company will invest nearly $21.3 million at a location near the town of Mount Olive in what will be U-Play’s first-ever U.S. location.
“North Carolina’s leadership in non-woven fabric manufacturing is bringing great jobs and investment dollars to Wayne County,” said Governor Pat McCrory. “U-Play Corporation will tap into our state’s unique base of skills and expertise to provide a line of products that are in growing demand in the U.S. and abroad.”
U-Play Corporation is a contract manufacturer of disposable sanitary products such as adult incontinence products, wet wipes and puppy training pads. Founded in 2006, the publicly held company is based in China’s Anhui Province and employs a total workforce of 310. Its products are exported to 40 countries.
“The arrival of U-Play Corporation is further evidence that the world is bullish on North Carolina,” said Secretary John Skvarla. “Our state has ready infrastructure and excellent multi-modal transportation along with well-trained workers and a world-class business climate. Nothing compares to North Carolina as a destination for foreign direct investment.”
U-Play Corporation will hire management, craftsmen, and sales staff. The company’s annual payroll impact will add more than $2.75 million to the local economy. 
“North Carolina is a fantastic place for our business because of its cluster of raw-material suppliers, well-trained workforce and business-friendly environment,” said Hancy Cheng, U-Play Corporation’s chief executive officer. “We want to put together all these advantages to create a manufacturing hub for our company to better serve our U.S. customers.”
U-Play Corporation’s arrival in North Carolina was facilitated in part by a performance-based grant of up to $200,000 from the One North Carolina Fund. The One NC Fund provides financial assistance in support of local governments in creating jobs and attracting economic investment. Companies receive no money upfront and must meet job creation and capital investment targets to qualify for payment. All One NC grants are contingent upon a local government match.
Since Governor McCrory entered office, North Carolina has added more than 300,000 jobs.
In addition to North Carolina Commerce and EDPNC, other key partners in the project include the North Carolina General Assembly, the North Carolina Community College System, N.C. Revenue, Wayne County, the Wayne County Development Alliance and the Town of Mount Olive.

Page 5 of 6
Copyright 2011 - All Rights Reserved
3012 Highwoods Blvd., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27604
Telephone: (919) 790-9392